I received the SmallHD 5Dmk3 Port Protector a few months ago but finally got a chance to review it. This for now completes my epic post on port protection. But check back, as I will revise it as new solutions present themselves. None have been perfect, and the SmallHD port protector is no exception. Though very well made and a clever solution I had some issues.
- SmallHD quality materials, as usual.
- Very good protection for both HDMI and USB ports.
- Works with the supplied cable or Zacuto’s.
- You have to remove your camera strap to use it.
- The supplied HDMI cable did not work with my Zacuto EVF.
- It’s a bit cumbersome to attach and get the port flap out of the way.
- It doesn’t work with a battery grip.
SmallHD recently posted a video on how to install the port protector (without the snags I had on first go):